With its Origins in Hamilton dating back to 1890, the law firm of Ross & McBride maintains traditional values of personal yet professional service in a wide variety of contemporary legal disciplines.
Our lawyers have developed skill and expertise in specific areas of the law, often working together to provide our clients with comprehensive advice on complex issues.
Ross & McBride's clients include financial institutions and non-profit organizations, large public corporations and small family businesses, senior citizens and young people. We appear at all levels of Court and all kinds of administrative tribunals.
Our lawyers contribute as leaders in the profession, instructing and writing for continuing legal educational programs. We are also actively involved in many volunteer and community activities.
At Ross & McBride, our commitment to our clients for over a century has earned our reputation as "The Legal Professionals".
Who Were Ross & McBride?
William Leaper Ross
During the Easter term of 1894, William Leaper Ross was admitted to the Ontario Bar and later appointed King’s Counsel. Throughout his 50 + year career, Mr. Ross founded and practiced Corporate Law in the Hamilton law firms of Carscallen, Cahill and Ross, Ross & Flett and later, Ross & Robinson.
During his long career, he developed a reputation in Hamilton as a lawyer who was a strong advocate for his clients, both in and out of the courtroom.
In addition to his passion for law, Mr. Ross was an officer of the 13th Royal Regiment and attained the rank of Captain. He had the distinction of being one of the best rifle shots in Canada, and travelled all over the country winning championships in this sport.
William Leaper Ross died on Sunday, March 9, 1947.
Robert Pickard McBride
In the Hilary term of 1912, Robert Pickard McBride was called to the Ontario Bar and later appointed Queen’s Counsel. He practiced Corporate Commercial Law at the firm Lees, Hobson and Co. until 1924 when he left to establish the law firm Peat & McBride. He later became a senior partner in the firm McBride, Hickey, McCallum & Mann and built a solid 50+ year reputation among the citizens of Hamilton as a gentleman and consummate professional.
Mr. McBride and his family (his wife, Kathleen, was the daughter of the founder of the popular department store “Robinson’s”, which was located on James St. South, near the firm’s current Hamilton location) were active members of the community, with Mr. McBride serving as one of the earliest directors of The Hamilton Community Foundation and as a long term member of the Board of the Hamilton Sanatorium. Mr. McBride believed in giving back to society. He did so through his profession, and the legacy that he left through the Hamilton Community Foundation.
Robert Pickard McBride died on Saturday, June 19, 1965.
How Did the Name Come To Be?
In 1974, William L. Ross’ firm, Ross & Robinson, and Robert P. McBride’s firm, McBride, Hickey, Green, McCallum & Mann, merged.
Although two of their namesakes had long since passed away, the partners of the newly amalgamated firm decided to pay tribute by naming the firm after them.
Ross & McBride LLP was born.